Defensive Gun Use (DGU) refers to the utilization of a firearm to protect oneself or others. Research suggests there are over one million occurrences of DGU in the U.S. each year!
Firearm Liability: It is estimated that 70-80 million Americans own at least one firearm. A recent Gallup poll indicates that concern over personal safety is the most common reason given for owning a gun.
But what happens if a law-abiding citizen is actually forced to protect his/herself, a loved one, or their personal property? There will be an investigation – and potentially a criminal trial. Even an eventual acquittal provides no guarantee that the “victim” or his/her family members won’t sue in civil court.
Many homeowner policies specifically exclude firearm use – even in self-defense – as a covered exposure, deeming it to be an intentional act. That leaves the gun owner personally liable for legal expenses, bail bond costs, and any judgments awarded through a civil action. That’s why we introduced the Firearm Liability product.
Consider some of the features of our offering:
- Civil Actions – Legal Defense. Provides expert legal counsel to protect you against civil litigation arising out of the covered use of a firearm for self-defense.
- Civil Actions – Indemnity. In the event of an adverse civil judgment occurring from a covered event, the policy will pay monetary awards (up to the limit of liability).
- Criminal Actions – Legal Defense Reimbursement. Policy will reimburse insured for reasonable legal expenses incurred while defending him/herself against criminal charges arising from the use of a firearm in self-defense (up to the limit of liability).
- Criminal Actions – Legal Defense Retainer. Advances funds to the insured to cover the cost of retaining legal counsel to defend against a criminal action.
- Criminal Actions – Bail Bond. Advances funds to cover the cost of securing a bail bond.
- Compensations While In Court. Compensation for loss of earnings resulting from time off taken from work to assist the insurance carrier in the investigation or defense of a covered claim.
- Firearm Theft Civil Liability. Provides legal defense for civil actions resulting from bodily injury/property damage caused by firearm stolen from the insured.
- Psychological Sessions. Reimbursement for therapy sessions with a licensed professional to help the insured cope with the trauma associated with using a firearm in self-defense.
- Legal Defense Hotline. Access to a hotline staffed by legal professionals. This service provides advice on questions relating to the use of a firearm in self-defense.
Apply for Firearm Liability Coverage
Interested in applying for coverage? We offer a simple, one-page application you can find below. It provides a number of different coverage options so you can pick the one that best suits your needs.